Thursday, May 16, 2013

Detachment

Today I found out that I deleted all of my pictures from the last 10 years and kept all of the music that I can now get for free. I guess I am doing things subconsciously the move me even closer to a vow of poverty and letting go of all of my attachments. I feel a genuine sense of loss, like natural disaster survivors who have had their dwellings and belongings destroyed.

Do pictures really serve the purpose of reminding us of our past or are they merely ways illustrate a story we tell others? I mean, I have the memories, incomplete as they may be, of the events in which I photographed. I never go through them to reminisce, rather I use them in electronic media as visual anchors to the story I am telling at the time.  In my day to day life pictures are a visual database.

It would be nice to have them back. I guess I could hunt down a data recovery program or two and spend a day getting back some files. But to what end? Some misguided notion that I will live on as a meme in people's minds after I die if I leave this collection of pics and posts. Maybe for 40 years after I die, but in the end those who knew me directly will pass on, the link will be broken, and my data in cloud will lose much of its meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment